• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
June 24, 2024, 01:55:38 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

BJCP Judge Qualification COurse

Started by Padraic, March 05, 2013, 01:50:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Padraic

Welcome aboard! Get your friend signed up as well! The more the merrier!

For €150 for 6 tasting sessions you can't go wrong! But if you miss more than one it will start getting a bit expensive!

Padraic

Note the €150 is a members price, non members will be €180!

Tom

Two questions:

1: where is it? I'm planning my journey now. Might have to leave early though, as I'm gigging in Bundoran that evening.

2: Is it OK to pay in instalments as we go along? €150 is reasonably, I'm not saying it's not, but in one go? You'll have to fight the Dentist for it.

Padraic

Quote from: Tom on June 15, 2013, 02:30:09 PM
1: where is it? I'm planning my journey now. Might have to leave early though, as I'm gigging in Bundoran that evening.

It's in W J Kavanagh on Dorset Street, about 10-15 mins from O Connell St. (Also about 10-15 mins from Connolly Station/Busaras)

The first hour or so will be going through some notes so not the end of the world if you miss it, as in you can read through them yourself and we can discuss any questions on the forum.

I'd not be against a 11:00 a.m. start if people are having trouble arriving before that!

Quote from: Tom on June 15, 2013, 02:30:09 PM
2: Is it OK to pay in instalments as we go along? €150 is reasonably, I'm not saying it's not, but in one go? You'll have to fight the Dentist for it.

I agree that it is a bit short notice for the 150€ in one go but I would like people's commitment to the course and I would prefer this up front as I will need to start buying the beer for the next few months asap. For installments I can agree to maybe €75 for the first month and €75 before the second tasting for anyone who is stuck for cash at the moment. (I don't have time to be spending chasing people for money every month. And I am sorry if this alienates anyone)

And the joy of beer tasting knowledge is much more important than keeping your teeth in good shape :P

Shane Phelan

Quote from: Padraic on June 15, 2013, 11:36:53 PM

I agree that it is a bit short notice for the 150€ in one go but I would like people's commitment to the course and I would prefer this up front as I will need to start buying the beer for the next few months asap. For installments I can agree to maybe €75 for the first month and €75 before the second tasting for anyone who is stuck for cash at the moment. (I don't have time to be spending chasing people for money every month. And I am sorry if this alienates anyone)

And the joy of beer tasting knowledge is much more important than keeping your teeth in good shape :P

I get paid on the 27th so before I get a chance to spend it, can I transfer it to your bank account that day? Seems safter than you receiving 2 grand in cash on the day!  :o
Brew Log

onesoma

I'd love to do it, can't commit to it this year though. Maybe in a year or two if it's on again. I'll concentrate on brewing and drinking more in the mean time :) And start going to meet ups.

Padraic

Quote from: shiny on June 16, 2013, 12:49:37 PM
Quote from: Padraic on June 15, 2013, 11:36:53 PM

I get paid on the 27th so before I get a chance to spend it, can I transfer it to your bank account that day? Seems safter than you receiving 2 grand in cash on the day!  :o

Good point, I'll get on to Dempsey about laundering paying the funds through the club accounts...

Shane Phelan

Is there a deadline/cutoff date to sign up to this?
Brew Log

Padraic

Not really, but anyone who hasn't paid at least the first €75 by the start of (morning of at the very latest) the first day won't be doing the course.

I'll check what sort of numbers we're limited to later today.

With the BJCP exam we are technically limited to 12 but I think that can be increased to 20. I need to confirm that. So the deal is the first 12 will definitely get to take the exam in February, and I hope that we can increase it up to 20!

I'd say 20 is the max for the course! So no deadline but limited to 20!

johnrm

Tom

June 16, 2013, 04:17:42 PM #115 Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 04:28:00 PM by Tom
I'm liking this more and more. WJCavanagh's on the road north, and thanks to streetview I'll have visited many times by Saturday. Google also thinks I can get to Bundoran in 3 hours!

So, you Dubs, what's the traffic like on Saturdays?

Edit: What's the parking like?
Edit2: How steaming am I going to be when I leave at 5pm?

PS, not my teeth, so agree wholeheartedly about the importance. She's a veggie anyway, so what good are teeth, really?

Padraic

Quote from: Tom on June 16, 2013, 04:17:42 PM
I'm liking this more and more. WJCavanagh's on the road north, and thanks to streetview I'll have visited many times by Saturday. Google also thinks I can get to Bundoran in 3 hours!

So, you Dubs, what's the traffic like on Saturdays?

Edit: What's the parking like?
Edit2: How steaming am I going to be when I leave at 5pm?

PS, not my teeth, so agree wholeheartedly about the importance. She's a veggie anyway, so what good are teeth, really?

Traffic Shouldn't be too bad.

Parking around there shouldn't be too bad, I think you should be able to park on one of the surrounding streets.

You'll be tasting around 100ml of 10-15 beers, so 1.5 litres over 5-6 hours, not sure how that fixes you for being able to drive? Probably best to have a feed and wait an hour but ye all know better than me (I don't drive). Also note that there will be one or two that you might not drink all 100ml...(American Lite Lager) I also hope to have some crackers and bread as palate cleansing/soakage.

kev

01. Padraic [29th June is fine]
02. Johnrm - I'm in for 29th
03. Tom
04. Matthewdick23 [29th June is fine]
05. brenmurph  [29th June is fine]
06. Will_D  [29th June is fine]
07. Andrew
08. Declan (CARA) [29th June is fine]
09. Rossa (Not able to attend first class)
10. Saruman
11. Partridge9 (Not able to attend first class)
12. Irish Goat
13. Kellie  (Not able to attend first class)
14. Dunkel  [29th June is fine]
15. Shiny [29th June is fine]
16. Kev (Wont make the first class)

This sounds great, wont make the 29th unfortunately but will be there after that!

Moneys payable into the club account?

Cathal O D

Is it too late for me to join this?

Will_D

Quote from: Padraic on June 16, 2013, 01:38:30 PM

With the BJCP exam we are technically limited to 12 but I think that can be increased to 20. I need to confirm that. So the deal is the first 12 will definitely get to take the exam in February, and I hope that we can increase it up to 20!

I'd say 20 is the max for the course! So no deadline but limited to 20!

I thought we first all had to do the online exam and only then when we know who has passed the OEx then we know who is eleigible for the tasting exam?
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing