• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
September 28, 2024, 02:11:40 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

His and hers beer

Started by Oh Crap, August 18, 2015, 07:08:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oh Crap

August 18, 2015, 07:08:45 PM Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 07:19:25 PM by Oh Crap

Harmonious household at last..
I have me dark porter  n she has her fizzy yellow water.. Both lagers tho
Beer
1 is good, 2 is better, 3 is enough & 4 isn't half enough

donnchadhc

DEMPSEY

What size of tree did you have to kill to get that bar top. :D
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Oh Crap

Quote from: DEMPSEY on August 18, 2015, 09:17:14 PM
What size of tree did you have to kill to get that bar top. :D
That's the small one... I made another to go outside at the bbq..:)
Beer
1 is good, 2 is better, 3 is enough & 4 isn't half enough

Leann ull

Pob take everything back you said about my shed

HomeBrewWest

Re: His and hers beer

Very interesting. We have been asked by microbrewery customers to develop a recipe for female customers. So far, the only guidenes we have are:
- light colour,
- low ABV,
- low IBU, and
- good head retention.

Looking pretty much like the picture above, we are thinking: an ale made from mostly pilner malt, about 3.8% ABV, making full use of step mashing. Any recipe ideas and mashing / hopping schedule would be most welcome!
"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer." Abraham Lincoln. www.homebrewwest.ie

Jacob

Quote from: HomeBrewWest on August 19, 2015, 03:13:38 PM
- light colour,
- low ABV,
- low IBU, and
- good head retention.

My wife doesn't drink beer, she prefers ciders.
However had to brew her a clone of Schneider Aventinus double weissen bock after she tried it some time ago.
Would agree then on low IBU and good head retention.

nigel_c

Was just about to say the same. In my experience with the ladies ( yeah I said it)  Belgian beers were always well received.

HomeBrewWest

This particular customer already has a wheat, and its a massive success. He is looking for another one. Hmm, name some of those Belgians and I'll see if I can dig up a a clone recipe.
"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer." Abraham Lincoln. www.homebrewwest.ie

TheSumOfAllBeers

Quote from: HomeBrewWest on August 19, 2015, 03:13:38 PM
Re: His and hers beer

Very interesting. We have been asked by microbrewery customers to develop a recipe for female customers. So far, the only guidenes we have are:
- light colour,
- low ABV,
- low IBU, and
- good head retention.

Looking pretty much like the picture above, we are thinking: an ale made from mostly pilner malt, about 3.8% ABV, making full use of step mashing. Any recipe ideas and mashing / hopping schedule would be most welcome!

I can see some of my beer loving female friends getting irate at the recipe above, especially the implied sexism.

The recipe above is a beer for people who don't really like beer. No grain, no hops, pale and frothy.

It's a lowest common denominator beer.

To people who say Belgian beers are a hit with the ladies, Belgian beers are a hit with everyone.

In my experience, women have less tolerance for bad beer than men. While I will session on Doom Bar or something similarly mediocre, my better half will switch to cider or wine when the good beer options disappear.

While she doesn't like beers with high apparent bitterness, when it is incorporated well into something like a double IPA she has been known to nick my pint.

DoubleG

My other half is a big fan of Belgian beers, we were in Brugge last March and she was really impressed with the variety of the beers.
She loved Mongozos Coconut Beer, still buys plenty of bottles if she see's it in the offie.

I put together a recipe for a clone and planning on brewing about 10 litres of it in a few weeks time for her.

HomeBrewWest

Quote from: TheSumOfAllBeers on August 19, 2015, 04:25:38 PM
I can see some of my beer loving female friends getting irate at the recipe above, especially the implied sexism.
. . .
Not my recipe, brewery requested it and they knows their customers a lot better than we do. There has to be a compromise though, maybe some unusual late hop additions?

Qs

I make a light blonde ale with all citra for the missus. Its pretty popular with most lager drinkers too. Its roughly 20ish IBUs but with plenty of late hopping and dry hops to make it nice fruity.

HomeBrewWest

Quote from: Qs on August 20, 2015, 11:08:56 AM
I make a light blonde ale with all citra for the missus. Its pretty popular with most lager drinkers too. Its roughly 20ish IBUs but with plenty of late hopping and dry hops to make it nice fruity.
Sounds good. Do you have recipe for it?

Keg

This one might be a good clue!