• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
June 28, 2024, 05:15:31 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Sierra Nevade Hop harvest 2014 Souther Hemisphere

Started by barkar, September 12, 2014, 12:31:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barkar

Bought one of these bottles in Obriens - 9 yoyo 's I think its a 75cl - was looking forward to being smacked in the face with hop flavour and aroma - opened to be greeted with abysmal hop aroma - checked the packaged date which was 28/04/2014 arrgh  ! 

Qs

I had the same experience. Even with that bottling date I'd have expected better. I had a 2013 bottle on the day of the FA Cup final and even that had more hop flavour.

eanna

Had it on draft in May or June, wasn't anything particularly special at the time I thought.

barkar

Will have my own fresh hopped nugget ipa in a couple of weeks , hopefully it will pack a lot more punch !

Boycott

Southern harvest is always a disappointing one. Am i right that ther are a series of SHs this year? So maybe we aren't all talking about the same beer

SlugTrap

Southern Hemisphere is brewed to coincide with the NZ harvest i.e. it's a spring seasonal.
Six-month-old IPA is never a good thing.

barkar

Yeah kinda didnt read the bottle other than it was 2014 harvest thought the harvests weren't 6 months apart -  had remainder of it last night -  sweet sugary bitter mess ....

Qs

I'd say if the majority of US imports had their bottling date printed we'd realise we almost never get fresh bottles.

barkar

Is say its nigh on impossible to get a fresh American beer here, especially from pacific coast , how long would it take to ship? 2- 3 weeks ? How long would it be sitting in distributors wa ehouse on bith sides ? You are probably looking at 3 weeks

SlugTrap

Quote from: Qs on September 14, 2014, 04:21:10 PM
I'd say if the majority of US imports had their bottling date printed we'd realise we almost never get fresh bottles.

Many do, you just need to know how to read Julian dating.

Quote from: barkar on September 14, 2014, 04:38:48 PM
Is say its nigh on impossible to get a fresh American beer here, especially from pacific coast , how long would it take to ship? 2- 3 weeks ? How long would it be sitting in distributors wa ehouse on bith sides ? You are probably looking at 3 weeks

The quickest I've seen is 58 days from bottling and I've seen that more than once so that seems to be a minimum.
Don't forgot, it needs to sit in Dublin Port clear Customs & Excise once it gets here.

John_C

Was in against the grain last night and they have the Northern Hemisphere Harvest Ale on tap.