• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
June 26, 2024, 03:01:40 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

starsan type product now manufactured in Ireland

Started by brenmurph, November 14, 2013, 04:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brenmurph

After 6 months working on this and  in Conjunction with the long- established, Carbon chemicals in Cork, they / I are proud to announce that we have formulated a final rinse / spray/ rinse, foaming starsan type product. It is on its way from Cork ( the sample) as I type. The produce is named "Combat"

As the brewing community grows we need to look after one of the most important aspects of brewing ( cleaning / sanitation and we need cost effective solutions, especially us who are very busy home brewers :)

The H2o2 is being trialled by myself and John RM, hopefully John will feedback to me shortly.
I have used the H2o2 and regularly tested its effectiveness on a weekly basis, there is no shelf life issue with diluted form as suggested around the forum.

The new product will allow us consider a bulk buy and if the H2o2 is anything to go by the price should be excellent, which allows us to be generous with our sanitisation protocols.

H2o2 is 100% biodegradable, starsan is not, we will continue to debate this after I see the product in action on some soiling, mouldy bread and so on :)

Eoin

That's great news Bren, let's hope they get good business out of the micros.

Sent from my HTC One

Ciderhead

Fair play Bren for giving it a go.
I just bought enough SS to last me till 2017. :(

Sent from 1 of 300,000,000

Bzfeale80

Like CH i also just bought starsan but its only 8oz of the stuff. Didn't know that starsan is non-biodegradeable :(
If this new product is better for the environment and manufactured here in ireland and suitable to use as a non rinse then I would also be interested in it.

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2

Eoin

Bren, how is star san not biodegradable? I understood it breaks down to a yeast nutrient in a brew.

Sent from my HTC One

brenmurph

sorry mixup on the starsan quote.

Everything on the planet is biodegradable :) What I meant was h2o2 is rapidly and harmlessly biodegradable while phosphporic acid does not work that way. Without getting into a debate on phosphates all I can say is that phosphates are an issue with our waterways and as far as I am aware dont break down fully, maybe willD or someone more knowledgeable can comment??

Just like bleach, phosphoric acid ( phosphates?) may not ( open to debate) be the best for the environment while as I understand it h2o2 is completly biogradable.

It up to individuals which solution the want to work with, chlorine, acid or peroxide. I think the micros are divided on whats best, hope this helps.

brenmurph

Didn't know that starsan is non-biodegradeable :(
If this new product is better for the environment and manufactured here in ireland and suitable to use as a non rinse then I would also be interested in it.
[/quote]

Re bio-degradeable.  The starsan stuff is an acid mix of phosphoric acid and another long winded acid, it on the starsan bottle :)
H2o2 not normally used or purchased except maybe hairdresers for bleaching is effective at tiny concentrations and fully degrades in a short time to oxygen and water.
I dont believe phosphoric acid does, but maybe a chemist may enlighten us. The paragraph below explains why Im not debating it, its quite complex compared to H2o2.

"Reactivity Profile
Phosphorous acid decomposes when heated to form phosphine, a gas that usually ignites spontaneously in air. Absorbs oxygen from the air to form phosphoric acid [Hawley]. Forms yellow deposits in aqueous solution that are spontaneously flammable upon drying. Reacts exothermically with chemical bases (for example: amines and inorganic hydroxides) to form salts. These reactions can generate dangerously large amounts of heat in small spaces. Dissolution in water or dilution of a concentrated solution with additional water may generate significant heat. Reacts in the presence of moisture with active metals, including such structural metals as aluminum and iron, to release hydrogen, a flammable gas. Can initiate the polymerization of certain alkenes. Reacts with cyanide compounds to release gaseous hydrogen cyanide. May generate flammable and/or toxic gases in contact with dithiocarbamates, isocyanates, mercaptans, nitrides, nitriles, sulfides, and strong reducing agents. Additional gas-generating reactions occur with sulfites, nitrites, thiosulfates (to give H2S and SO3), dithionites (to give SO2), and carbonates (to give CO2)."