• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
June 22, 2024, 11:22:48 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Air in Beer Line

Started by vinyljunkie, November 18, 2018, 04:17:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vinyljunkie

Connected to different kegs ehich is makinh me think its something to do with temp of fridge or psi on regulator. Will play about again tomorrow to see if i can come to a solution.

Will_D

Surely in a pressurised system what we call a leak results in the pressurised stuff (beer, gas, etc) exiting the system into the surroundings (which by definition are at a lower pressure).

If you are getting gas in the lines there are maybe 2 sources:

1. The gas is coming out of solution  from the beer and is rising to the top of the line. Cause would be contaminated beer line causing nucleation (ie bubbles in champagne glasses form on the glass's micro scratches.

2. There is a leak in the dispense post inside the keg (above the beer level) allowing gas from the top of the keg to enter the beer line when you pull a pint (and lower the pressure in the line)

If you keg is fairly full lay it on its side with the dispense tub at the bottom. That way the dispense post is submerged in beer. Pull some bee and see what happens.

HTH

Will
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

vinyljunkie

Hi Will, thanks for your reply.

I raised the PSI on the reg by 5 PSI this morning. It seems to be doing the trick, I've read so much online over the last few days. I'm fairly certain it was to do with the balance between PSI and Temp.

I'll leave it over the weekend pours and check again.

vinyljunkie

One thing I don't quite get - so If I burst carb at 30 - 40 psi for two days;

1 - I don't vent?
2 - I set reg at 15 PSI so for 2.5 vols as per force carb chart for around 6 celsius https://www.homebrewsupply.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/carbonation_cart.png

I assume thats correct?

Then you have the line length calculator; https://www.brewersfriend.com/2009/07/18/getting-a-good-pour-kegged-beer-co2-line-length-and-pressure/
L = (P -(H x .5) – 1 ) / R
5 = (15-(1.5 x .5) - 1 ) / 2.7

I should have 5' of 3/16" beer line, other calculators I've seen online suggest 10'-12'

My beer line was 6', I reduced it to 4.5' recently to increase flow rate. Maybe I need to go longer an go for 6'.