• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
June 22, 2024, 11:38:29 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Still blupping, finished fermenting?

Started by nordic man, February 03, 2014, 08:14:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nordic man

I'm very fresh in the brewingworld and have a question about when the first fermenting is finished. My brew have been fermenting for 8 days, the OG reading is 1010, so after the instructions it should be finished, but the airlock is still blupping away, does that mean the yeast is still eating sugar and I should wait before botteling?

Ciderhead

What are you brewing?
What is ambient temperature?
What was starting gravity?
Did you put any additional ingredients in it ?

nordic man

I'm brewing an american pale ale, a kit from Bulldog brews.
Ambient temp is 20 - 24 degrees, been held on 22 most of the time, been using a brewing belt, been a bit annoying, since it is around 19-20 degrees when it's off and 23 -24 when it's on too long. Anyway, think the temp has been ok.
Starting gravety was 1046.
I read the FG yesterday, fermentingday 7 to 1010, so then I added hops pellets (in a bag), after the instructions - I should add the pellets 1-2 days before finished fermenting, thought that would be correct since it said 8-10 days fermenting in the instructions, and the FG reading seemed ok.

Tasted it, and its not bad :-) so I think it will be ok, but it's still blupping a bit.

Eoink

A final gravity of 1010 on a 1046 beer should be finished or close to, but the bubbling suggests something is still going on. When in doubt my policy is to  leave it a couple more days. A few extra days in the fermenter won't do the beer any harm, whilst if you bottle too early you could have exploding bottles.

I don't think temperature is too low considering the beer will be a degree or two higher than ambient.

nordic man

Thanks, I'll leave it a few more days, guess its ok that the hops pellets stay in the beer more than 1-2 days.

Working from home, so I have the blubb blubb in the background all day, nice little sound :-)

TheSumOfAllBeers

Did you use all malt, or did you follow the kit instructions and add a bag of sugar?

If it was all malt, you should be fully attenuated now. If you used sugar, there might be a little bit further to go.

Also you are keeping your beers temperature in flux. This may be causing 2 things that are not fermentation related.

Warmer temps will cause the beer to lose CO2, and varying the temp if the beer will cause some equalisation issues through your airlock

Garry

It sounds finished but leave it a few more days if you're not sure.

Your temperature is a bit on the high side at 24° but I'm sure it will be fine. It will ferment faster at high temperatures and could also produce some off flavours. Again, I'd say it will be fine.

I'd highly recommend getting something to control the temperature of your brew belt. An STC-1000 is the most common means of temperature control amongst us home brewers. Maintaining a constant temperature is very important too, so try insulating the FV with a blanket or sleeping bag to stop it cooling and heating unnecessarily.

I've was looking at that kit a few weeks ago so let us know how it goes for you. The Bulldog kits are great. Really fast brew day.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Temperature-Controller-Thermostat-Aquarium-STC1000-Incubator-Cold-Chain-Temp-/141057633005?pt=AU_B_I_Electrical_Test_Equipment&hash=item20d7b0aaed