• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
June 23, 2024, 02:55:48 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

His and hers beer

Started by Oh Crap, August 18, 2015, 07:08:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keg

Ingredients, for the record.

Qs

Quote from: HomeBrewWest on August 20, 2015, 06:32:44 PM
Quote from: Qs on August 20, 2015, 11:08:56 AM
I make a light blonde ale with all citra for the missus. Its pretty popular with most lager drinkers too. Its roughly 20ish IBUs but with plenty of late hopping and dry hops to make it nice fruity.
Sounds good. Do you have recipe for it?

Sure

For 23L

95% Maris Otter
5% Wheat Malt

7g Citra (14.4% AA) FWH 14.6 IBU
15g Citra @ 10 5.7 IBU
40g Citra @ Steep (I dropped the temp to 80 and then steep for 10 mins before staring to chill again)

US 05

60g Citra Dry Hop

OG 1.044
FG 1.010
ABV 4.5%

I do a single infusion mash at 68C.

HomeBrewWest

Cool, lots of citra! Will give these recipes a bash. I'll need to come up with a Speidel mashing schedule . . . might try 2 extremes . . . one as dry as possible, and the other the opposite!
"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer." Abraham Lincoln. www.homebrewwest.ie

TheSumOfAllBeers

Quote from: HomeBrewWest on August 19, 2015, 04:48:08 PM
Not my recipe, brewery requested it and they knows their customers a lot better than we do. There has to be a compromise though, maybe some unusual late hop additions?

Fair enough about the requirements, but it's such a cynical approach to making a girls beer, that has been applied over and over by Big Lager in the past.

My non ale drinking, IBU hating, ABV intolerant better half, developed quite a taste for duvel triple hop while on holiday, women like good beer same as men. Last time I checked they were not too keen on being patronised either.

The only option to put any flavour into that beer is to cask it (flatter, warmer, less head), or use a lot of late aroma hops.

Or you could just mix on some fruit extract or zest and put a girly label on it.

Qs

You have to be practical too though. My wife loved Tripel de Garre on our recent trip to Brugge but after a glass of wine or two with dinner she wasn't really up for drinking more than 2 of them because they're so strong. And lighter beers shouldn't be deemed inherently insulting anyway. Most of my friends are into their beer and their wives and girlfriends all like to get in on it too but tend towards lighter, fruitier stuff, low ABV stuff like wits, hefeweizens, yes fruit beers, ginger beers, etc