• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 24, 2024, 11:27:53 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

[Review] Muckish Mountain Miner's Red Ale

Started by BrewCity, August 03, 2013, 08:12:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrewCity

August 03, 2013, 08:12:24 PM Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 01:24:56 PM by Il Tubo
Name: Miner's Red Ale
Made by: Muckish Mountain Brewery, Derryart, Creeslough, Donegal
Purchased at: Bradley's off licence, Cork
4.3% ABV
330ml bottles

From the label: "Our easy drinking Miner's Red Ale has a warm reddish hue thanks to the Dark Crystal malt which gives a rich caramel flavour and subtle nutty aroma. The extra soft fruity aroma comes from the American Centennial hops, which also give a full bodied flavour that easily compliments the rich malty character of the beer. The result is a beer that's not too bitter or too sweet and who partners well with lots of food, especially Irish stew." Ingredients: Water, malted barley, wheat, hops, yeast.

The claim of being "not too bitter or too sweet" is certainly true as this is a well-balanced beer with a sweet malty flavour and bitter hoppy aftertaste. It has medium body, low head, and is not overcarbonated. It has a nice clear red colour, perfect for its style. I detected a slight chlorophenolic aroma, possibly caused by the use of chlorinated water (homebrewers can remove the chlorine from tap water using carbon filters or by using 1 campden tablet per 20L). The label claims the beer has a "nutty aroma" and "soft fruity aroma." Although I can detect a soft fruity aroma, I would say there is a slight nutty aftertaste, but not a nutty aroma. All in all, a nice mild red ale with low hop aroma and sweet maltiness.

Possible Homebrew Clone:

3kg Maris Otter (5 EBC)
350g Dark Crystal Malt (236 EBC)
500g Caramel Wheat Malt (90 EBC)
15g East Kent Goldings (5%) 60 min
15g East Kent Goldings (5%) 30 min
10g Centennial (10%) 15 min
20g Centennial (10%) 5 min
Irish Ale Yeast (White Labs #WLP004)

Volume: 20L
28 EBC
27 IBUs
4.3% ABV

LordEoin

Great review, thank you.
On the label, see the valley in the middle of the mountain? There's a narrow old miners' path that hugs the steep rockface and goes right up to the top through there, with a huge ledge about 2/3 of the way up. I used to love it up there as a kid, it felt so dangerous.
If I ever make it up there again, I'm bringing one of these beers (and a bottle of McDade's Banana fizzy-pop) with me and drinking it on one of the old rusty cranes if they're still there. :)

Garry

Excellent review. Clone recipe and all. You've set the standard for future reviews  :)

Bubbles

Thanks BrewCity, for the review!

It's now up on the front page, folks, if you haven't seen it already.

irish_goat

Anyone spotted this in Dublin? And/or know if it's made in Donegal or a contract brew?

BrewCity

"To assist with their initial study they secured the services of 'Eight Degrees' in Cork to brew their Donegal recipes, with the view to establishing their own dedicated facility at home if feasible ."
http://www.donegaldemocrat.ie/what-s-on/arts-culture-entertainment/inspiration-for-new-brew-1-5358423

irish_goat

Cheers. Shoulda really just googled it myself.

It's a wonder how 8 Degrees have the capacity to do all these contract brews along with their own beers (they've 6 out at the minute).

Bubbles

Quote from: irish_goat on August 20, 2013, 03:15:51 PMIt's a wonder how 8 Degrees have the capacity to do all these contract brews along with their own beers (they've 6 out at the minute).

Definitely. They must have some serious plans for expansion if they have the required fermentation and conditioning tanks for all these contract brews.

irish_goat

Been told this weekend that this is for sale in a new restaurant in Derry. Gonna call in near the end of the week and check it out but what I'm wondering is it is all above board? Find it hard to believe they would be (legally)exporting to the UK already.